A one-of-a-kind workshop opportunity for nurses, midwives, doctors, childbirth educators, doulas, and counseling professionals who work with childbearing women.
When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on the Childbearing Woman.
"The When Survivors Give Birth workshop opened my eyes to a very important aspect of my work. It gave me an understanding that I was lacking prior to attending and in turn improved my practice working with expecting and new families. I truly believe it should be mandatory for anyone working in maternal/child health." - Jenn Goodwin CD(DONA), LCCE, CLE, President - Calgary Doula Association
An introduction for anyone who works with childbearing people and wants to learn about the impact of abuse on the birth experience.
- Definition of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) and other child abuse
- Common manifestations of any type of child abuse on the childbearing woman
- Unique manifestations of sexual abuse specifically on the childbearing woman
- Neurological and behavioral sequelae of child abuse
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on conscious memory
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on the adult woman
- Possible Impact of CSA on pregnancy
- Possible Impact of CSA on labor and birth
- Relationship between the woman and her caregiver
- Modification of common childbirth preparation techniques for CSA survivors
- Possible Impact of CSA on postpartum recovery, breastfeeding, and postpartum mood disorders
- How to and how not to respond when a client/patient discloses a history of childhood sexual abuse
2 Options Available:
Day 1 - When Survivors Give Birth Workshop
Day 2 - BONUS
Morning Session (9:00am-12:30pm): Processing and Protecting
Debrief the work from the day before and focus on secondary or vicarious trauma experienced by a care provider when supporting those with CSA.
Afternoon Session (1:00pm-4:00pm): BONUS Advanced Training! Labour Tools: TENS
During this course you will practice and play with several brands of machines marketed for use as a birth tool as well as a typical Physio TENS machine.
This course is approved for 2.5 CEU's from DONA International and meets the requirements for providing a TENS machine to your clients as a doula and stay within your scope.
If you cannot attend the seminar we still want you to have this amazing information! The companion book to the workshop of the same name is now available through Doula Essentials here in Canada! Pre-Order here, we will be shipping these in mid-June.
This book is important. We can't say that enough. Read more here.