A one-of-a-kind workshop opportunity for nurses, midwives, doctors, childbirth educators, doulas, and counseling professionals who work with childbearing women.
When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on the Childbearing Woman.
"The When Survivors Give Birth workshop opened my eyes to a very important aspect of my work. It gave me an understanding that I was lacking prior to attending and in turn improved my practice working with expecting and new families. I truly believe it should be mandatory for anyone working in maternal/child health." - Jenn Goodwin CD(DONA), LCCE, CLE, President - Calgary Doula Association
An introduction for anyone who works with childbearing people and wants to learn about the impact of abuse on the birth experience.
- Definition of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) and other child abuse
- Common manifestations of any type of child abuse on the childbearing woman
- Unique manifestations of sexual abuse specifically on the childbearing woman
- Neurological and behavioral sequelae of child abuse
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on conscious memory
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on the adult woman
- Possible Impact of CSA on pregnancy
- Possible Impact of CSA on labor and birth
- Relationship between the woman and her caregiver
- Modification of common childbirth preparation techniques for CSA survivors
- Possible Impact of CSA on postpartum recovery, breastfeeding, and postpartum mood disorders
- How to and how not to respond when a client/patient discloses a history of childhood sexual abuse
2 Options Available:
Attend Day 1 ($185.00) Or Day 1 + BONUS! ($225.00)
Day 1 - When Survivors Give Birth Workshop
9:00am - 5:00pm
Day 2 - BONUS
Morning Session (9:00am-12:30pm): Processing and Protecting
Debrief the work from the day before and focus on secondary or vicarious trauma experienced by a care provider when supporting those with CSA.
Afternoon Session (1:30pm-4:30pm): BONUS Advanced Training! Labour Tools: TENS
During this course you will practice and play with several brands of machines marketed for use as a birth tool as well as a typical Physio TENS machine.
This course is approved for 2.5 CEU's from DONA International and meets the requirements for providing a TENS machine to your clients as a doula and stay within your scope.